Thursday, November 8, 2012

Week Eleven Post-Reading Questions

In the film I learned a lot about hip hop and the culture and where it came from. One main interesting that I learned from the film that most rappers were talking about sex, drugs, women, and violence. As a consumer, I just listen to the beats and the rhythm. After I watched the film I put one of my rap songs on while I was listening to it, in today’s society most of music still talk about sex, drugs, and women not so much on violence. Comparing today’s music and the music back in my middle school years it has calmed down a little bit. This film didn’t change how I feel or think about hip hop. I feel hip hop/rap artistes job is to entertain the listeners and the consumers.

The filmmaker Burton Hurt made some arguments with this film.
The hyper-masculinity and violence present in hip-hop is part of the larger American culture that values and promotes violence. (Eths100f12.blogspot.com)
               I don’t agree. I don’t feel that people are going out in the world and shooting people but I do agree on the hyper-masculinity. The hip hop/rapper artists are a big role model on kids these days how they are dressed mostly young little boys. Do I feel that hip hop/rap artistes have a big role in kids I agree but to an extent.

 Hip-hop is both homophobic and homoerotic simultaneously. (Eths100f12.blogspot.com)
               Yes I agree. In the film when Busta Rhyme was getting interviewed and was question about gays, and lesbians he couldn’t even look the guy in the guy that was interviewing him or answer the question he just walked away. I also agree hip-hop/rap is homoerotic simultaneously because most artists that are promoting their music also when they are preforming their shirts come off and are greased up and showing off their body. It attracts both sex because women love to see muscle and buff men and guys also do to even though they don’t think they are but they are because most guys look how big they are and they want to be built as the artist.

 Music corporations, which are run by wealthy white men, are responsible for prioritizing the messages that hip-hop promotes. (Eths100f12.blogspot.com)
            It goes both ways. I don’t know where I stand because the artist makes their music and they choose what to rap or sing about. But again the music corporation has the right not to promote it. I don’t know where I stand on this argument.

 The genre of hip-hop is denigrating to women. (Eths100f12.blogspot.com)
          I agree that hip-hop/rap artist do put a bad name for women. Not all women just want shake their asses and are half naked. Women have the right to wear bikinis and show off their bodies but it’s not okay for men to touch women without their consent. I don’t care what the lyrics say in the music it’s just not okay. It’s disrespectful and men need to treat women like how they would treat their mothers.

 Hip-hop/rap music has its pros and cons. But am I going to stop listening to it, No I’m.
 
words:521

3 comments:

  1. Hello!
    Are you a student in my ETHS 100 course? If so, please let me know your name so I can give you credit.
    thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Jennifer,
    First of all- nice job with the citing :)

    Additionally, I really appreciated your engagement with the topics in the film and how reflective your analysis was.
    Your point about the purpose of hip-hop being only for entertainment is well taken, next week we are going to look at hip-hop as an agent of social change: Can these two things happen at the same time? Can some types of hip-hop only be used for entertainment value and some types used to convey a social message?
    I completely agree that under no circumstances do men have the right to harass women (like in real life or in the video)- however I wonder, do you think that their consumption of certain types of hip-hop (both in music and in the music videos) encourages this type of behavior? Is it possible to watch women being degraded on screen and then 'treat them like your mother' in real life?
    --eas

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with your responses 100%. I also am a hip hop consumer, but I think what get's me more than the lyrics is the beats and rythmns. I noticed the lyrics before, but like you, maybe not the extent in which they were. Furthermore, the part where you talk about how the music has changed a little I agree with. Eventhough we feel like the messages are the same, I do think more motivating and lesson learning rap has come out since the video was made.

    ReplyDelete